California IVF Fertility Center | 2590 Venture Oaks Way Ste 103, Sacramento CA 95833 | 530-771-0177

California IVF Fertility Center, in collaboration with UC Davis Health System, offers a full range of infertility services that are tailored to fit your individual needs.  The information presented here is intended to help you make informed decisions about your care but should not serve as a substitute for discussing your individual history with a physician.

The exact evaluation and treatment will vary among individuals and is also influenced by any previous evaluations and treatments you may have had.  Infertility programs have different approaches to the way testing and treatment is done. There is no “one best way” to treat infertility patients.  Being informed about your treatment is extremely important in helping to determine what is the right choice for your care.  Our goal at California IVF is to provide you with diagnostic and therapeutic options tailored to you.  By selecting the most appropriate treatment, we will be able to maximize your potential for conceiving.

Infertility is an impairment in the ability to achieve pregnancy.  There are multiple causes for infertility including male and female factors.  In the United States there are about 6 million women and their partners affected by infertility.  As a result of treatment, pregnancy rates can be significantly improved.  The chance of becoming pregnant in a young couple with adequate frequency of intercourse is estimated to be 25% in 1 month, 70% by 6 months, and 90% by 1 year.  The chance of becoming pregnant after this time frame is as very low.  As few as 10% of the couples that did not become pregnant in the first year will become pregnant by waiting an additional 6 to 12 months without treatment.  Age has a significant impact on the chances of becoming pregnant as well.  Women over age 35 will experience a reduction in their chances of becoming pregnant.  These chances decline rapidly by age 40, therefore women should be informed of the potential hazards of delaying treatment and the effect of age on fertility.

The causes of infertility can be broadly grouped into various factors.  A problem with the fallopian tube would  be referred to as a tubal factor infertility.  Male infertility is known as male factor.   These factors are represented below with an estimate of their occurrence in couples presenting for fertility care.

Ovulatory Factor PCOS (Insulin Resistance)

Endometriosis

Uterine Factor

Tubal Factor

Unexplained Infertility

Age Related Infertility

Male Factor

For more information on the causes of infertility, click the desired link above.  Some women may have more than one problem.  Couples likewise may have combined male and female infertility.

As our approach to IVF changes, we have been better able to understand the more subtle causes of infertility.   Egg quality, sperm quality, and the transport of sperm through the reproductive tract are the most important factors when it comes to IVF.  In our California Conceptions Donor Embryo Program, approximately 90 to 95% of patients are able to have a baby using 3 transfers of embryos formed from donor sperm and donor eggs.  By using high quality sperm and eggs, there are very few remaining hurdles to pregnancy once embryos are placed into the uterus.  Our researchers continue to investigate the interaction of the sperm with female reproductive tract and how a sperm protein, DEFB126, may protect the sperm during the sperm’s travel through the female reproductive system.  Work is being done on correcting errors that are found in poor quality eggs and how early changes to the management of eggs and embryos may lead to improved pregnancy rates.  Using revised microscopy techniques, including 3 dimensional microscopy, and constantly adjusting the milestones and benchmarks used to select embryos has also had a favorable effect on pregnancy rates.  We continue to evolve IVF treatments and remain excited about the high rates of success produced by our embryology laboratory.

There are several lifestyle changes that have been shown to be very beneficial.  Quitting smoking can be one of the single most important changes people can make when trying to conceive.  Even second hand smoke can have a significant impact on eggs and sperm.  Research has also shown smoking can have negative effects on developing embryos and newborns.

California IVF also recommends diet and exercise as a way of promoting your fertility.  Weight loss can lead to improved rates of conception and maintenance of pregnancy.  We have a simple to understand yet highly-effective diet program that has a very impressive track record.  Many women are able to conceive without advanced fertility treatments!

California IVF Fertility Center starts with an initial consultation and diagnostic testing.  We discuss the available treatment options and the estimated rates of success, chances of multiples, and estimated costs.   Patients are able to use more conservative treatments such as Clomid or Letrozole and IUI, or used more advanced treatments such as IVF.  Our research and continuous process improvement has led to very high rates of success with IVF.  Many patients are now selecting IVF because the success rates with one transfer can rival that of 8 to 12 months of insemination, or IUI, procedures.  Embryos frozen as part of the IVF process can remain frozen indefinitely.  Due to high rates of success, storing frozen embryos offers a means of fertility preservation, or embryo banking.  The embryos will remain capable of making a pregnancy regardless of the number of years that pass before they are used.

We are excited about the changes that have led to big improvements in our success rates.  Our ongoing research and commitment to improve outcomes should allow us to become even better in the future.  We are available for consultation if you are having difficulty getting pregnant.  Potential patients may also schedule a tour which allows you to see our center and meet our staff.  We are confident that our staff and our success set us apart.  Contact California IVF today!